Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

On Sunday, we also participated in one of the Oaxacan Covenant church’s worship services. Our team sang a number of songs in Spanish, shared two personal testimonies in Spanish, and I preached--but not in Spanish! Sabino translated for me.


We took about 50 minutes with our part of the service, but of course that isn’t nearly long enough for worship in non-Anglo churches! The congregation still included their regular Sunday routine, with exuberant singing, prayers, testimonies, offering, business, and words from the pastor. In the end, it was a typical Mexican Sunday service: 2 1/2 hours long...

Our ministry work began on Monday morning. We had been told about a new building project that several Covenant churches were joining together to construct, and the plan was for the project to be at the point where we would be involved in putting the roof on the building. However, when we got to the work site, out in the middle of an open field, surrounded by the green Oaxacan mountains, all we saw was a hole in the ground and several rebar columns sticking up from the beginnings of the foundation! It was clear that things had not gone as planned, and so our team quickly became “rebar masters”--for that is what we ended up doing the entire week.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home