Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Besides our missionary work, we were “tourists” too. Our hosts called this a mission/vision trip, and so we got to see and experience a variety of things not connected with the Covenant in Oaxaca. We went to a black pottery shop, where we had a demonstration of how this unique pottery is made (pictures of Jimmy Carter, Nelson Rockefeller, and other leaders and celebrities adorn the walls of this shop).


We went to a weaving center and saw how the people there do everything by hand, from carding the wool and spinning it, to dying it with natural ingredients, to weaving it on a variety of looms.


The deep red “cochineal” dye was my favorite. It is made from a little bug that eats white fungus off of a certain cactus! It was one of the most prized exports when the Spaniards ruled Oaxaca and was traded as far away as India. I bought a rug with this brilliant red dye from an old woman who had made it on her loom, and I am now redoing one of my bathrooms with a Mexican touch, just to showcase this beautiful weaving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home