Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Carolyn and I also went each afternoon to the Vincente Guerrero community center to teach English to elementary and middle school children. Neither of us have ever done this kind of thing before, but we planned well before we left--and ended up scrubbing most of our lesson plans for other activities that the kids really enjoyed. Each day, they grew more comfortable with us, as Carolyn and I tried to use our limited Spanish to explain and help the kids learn English. By the end of the week, through the games and competitions and repetition that we used in our classes, many of the children seemed to have made good progress in their English skills. Bruce and Katy have an ongoing relationship with these kids and with the center, so Carolyn and I hope we offered some tangible help to what is taking place there.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home