Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Wednesday, May 3rd, was Israel Independence Day. This country turned 58--and its citizens celebrated BIG TIME! It was like one big national party, which started, of course, on Tuesday at sundown (remember that Jewish days begin at sundown). I met a friend at the Hass Promenade, south of the Old City, to watch fireworks, but when they went off at about 9:30 p.m., nothing more happened, and feeling disappointed, I walked towards home. However, when I got to Jaffa Street, a huge surprise awaited me: it was blocked off by two big buses and security fences, and thousands and thousands of Israelis were packed along the street, as far as I could see! Parents with little kids in strollers, old people walking arm in arm, young people with foam squirting each other, music and dancing and people wrapped in israeli flags, people laughing and eating and singing--it was a blast! When I got through security and onto the street itself, I headed toward Zion Square--and up Ben Yehuda Street, again as far as I could see, were people packed into this street too! I spent about two hours here, just enjoying the festivities and watching the people--and taking loads of photos! There were also more fireworks over the city as the night got later, so I was not disappointed about this in the end.

On Wednesday, just across the street from where I live, at the Russian Compound, this historic area was open to the public--and again, thousands of people came to enjoy the pleasant day, the sights, and the activities there. All over the place were little dramatic vignettes, presented by talented actors and actresses, depicting the history of Israel and the various countries and authorities who ruled over this land until independence in 1948. This was done with music and dancing, as well as dramatically, and it was fascinating--except I couldn’t understand a thing because it was all in Hebrew! But there was much to see and do. The police headquarters for Jerusalem is also in the compound, and they had great displays and presentations about their work and security in the city, from guns of all kinds to emergency services to police dog work to water canons to camouflage painting on children’s faces. Behind the compound is a famous prison that housed Israeli rebels and political prisoners during the British Mandate, and there were people dressed up as prisoners in the cells, the kitchen, and other areas to show what life was like for the Jews incarcerated here from 1917 to 1948. The most moving event that occurred here was one similar to the Masada story: two young Jews were sentenced to death by hanging, but instead of allowing the British to take their lives, someone smuggled two grenades disguised as oranges into their cell. After singing the Jewish prayer, “Adon Olam,” the two men put the oranges/grenades to their chests, hugging each other, and exploded them. Memorial wreaths, similar to the ones that I saw all over Israel this week to honor fallen soldiers, were placed before the photographs of these two who gave their lives in the struggle for Israeli independence.







Photos: 1: Independence Day crowds on Jaffa Street 2: Independence Day crowds up Ben Yehuda Street 3: people hit one another with these blow-up Israeli hammers which featured the Star of David 4: one young Israeli citizen dressed up and painted like the Israeli flag 5: Russian Compound church - horse and carriage rides for families throughout the day (this is just across the street from where I live)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home