Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Friday, May 05, 2006

May 5 - Oy vey! Where has the time gone! I have not had a bit of time to get a new blog together this week, what with going to the Negev desert on Saturday and Sunday, to the Galilee on a food distribution trip on Tuesday, Israel Independence Day on Wednesday, and regular work and activities in between.

The pictures and captions I’m posting today are from the week of April 24-28, a wonderful time of working outdoors in the beauty of En Kerem, enjoying the special camaraderie of my home repair team, and the sad farewell we had to say as a BFP family to Larry and Mary Bennett on Friday. I hope you get a sense of the experience I’m having here as I work with these guys each day, doing all kinds of jobs and projects for both Jewish people and the BFP organization. These are very happy, enjoyable, enriching days for me, interesting and purposeful, with a fantastic community of friends and co-workers. I’m savoring every moment, every conversation, every activity, every opportunity to grow more intimate with people, with Jerusalem, and with Jesus.

My next blog will include things from our weekend desert trip, the Galilee, and Independence Day--wonderful adventures and experiences all around. Till then--shabat shalom from Jerusalem!






Photos: En Kerem - dismantling (and destroying) the big lifting wheel, which demonstrated how large pieces of stone were moved with pulleys and wheels in biblical times. It was old, rotting, and no longer usable, so we salvaged the pieces of wood that we could and threw out the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home