Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Friday, May 12, 2006

On Tuesday, May 2, I got time away from home repair and went on a food distribution trip up north to the Galilee. It was a wonderful time in a completely different environment from the Negev! And I shared the day with two good friends from BFP who drive and do food deliveries: Jey (a South Korean Christian who married and Israeli) and Eli (another Israeli “sabre” who knows every inch of this country and the events that have happened in it since before Israel’s founding in 1948). It was a warm, sunny, perfect day for riding through the beautiful Israeli countryside, with good conversation, meaningful work, and seeing new things. I haven’t been to the Galilee since I’ve been here in israel and it was fun to be back there again, seeing many familiar holy sites from the van as we drove past them (Mount of Beatitudes, Tabgha (“Feeding 5000”), Migdal--home of Mary Magdelene), the city of Tiberias, Ginosar (home of the first century fishing boat), the Golan Heights, and of course the Sea of Galiliee itself. We brought food to a municipality building in Giv’at Avni in the fertile hills to the west of the lake, to a food distribution warehouse in Kiryat Shmona (three miles from the Lebanese border!), and to an Israeli couple, Aric and Choney, in Yesud Hama’ala, north of the lake, who help Russian Jewish immigrants to Israel. The trip gave me a new perspective, and even greater appreciation, for the work of “Bridges.” We give literally TONS of food away to the poor, the elderly, the needy, childcare facilities, immigrants, from the Lebanese border to desert towns south of the Dead Sea, plus all of the people who come to the Distribution Center in Jerusalem where I work! I knew that “Bridges” is the largest food bank in the country, and now I see even more clearly why this is. If you’re looking to support an organization that really helps hurting people in practical ways, “Bridges For Peace” is a great one to invest in!






Photos: 1: food delivery at Kiryat Shmona - Eli giving a supply of “long life” milk to the local food bank worker! 2: Eli and me relaxing at the Dobrovni Farm, a kibbutz where we took a break on the way to our third delivery 3: me delivering food at Yesud Hama’ala 4: me with Aric, who coordinates support of Russian immigrants with his wife, Choney, in Yesud Hama’ala 5: the beautiful countryside of the Galilee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home