Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Saturday, May 20, 2006






Photos: 1. me on the steps that led to the Temple Mount. The rougher stones in front are the original steps--surely Jesus walked on them! 2. me on the Second Temple Period street that ran all along the western wall of the mount, then turned left (south) and proceeded to the steps that led up to the temple itself. Stores and other commercial shops lined this street at the time of Christ. 3. Trystan in front of one of the most enormous stones in the wall of the Temple Mount, at the southwestern corner. It is IMMENSE! 4. me sitting on rocks that were knocked down by the Romans from the top of the Temple Mount when they destroyed Jerusalem in 70 A.D. 5. me at the bottom of the steps that led to one of the many “mikva” baths used by pilgrims for ritual cleansing before going up to the temple to offer their sacrifices. The divider in the stairs separated the “unclean” from the “clean:” pilgrims descended into the water on the right side of the divider, and came up cleansed on the left side (where I am standing)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home