Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Saturday, November 05, 2011

"WORDS MATTER"


I'm resorting to someone else's writing again for this blogpost - but it's about something important to all of us who are involved in ministry, especially worship arts/music. A topic that got a lot of attention in our "Better Together" Covenant Worship Leaders Facebook group a couple weeks ago became the topic of this blogpost on the Covenant's website, and I want to share it with you and see if it creates any discussion here on my blog. It's all about words; how we use them, how they convey meaning, their ability to express truth, and so forth.

Words are very important to me - if you've ever received my annual Christmas "epistle," you KNOW about me and words! When I choose music for Sunday worship each week, I always consider the words of every song I pick for the congregation to sing. So when people say they just want "pep-y" songs and don't care about the words (because they don't listen to them anyways), I am always amazed, a little hurt, and more than a little pissed off! Words are getting a lot of attention in our angry, divided, uncivil society today too, as people, groups, organizations, the media, government officials, etc. attack each other with extreme, over-the-top, vitriolic charges and counter-charges, using words that cut and bite and devalue.

See what my friend and fellow worship pastor, Matt Nightingale, has written about words. Then, put down some words and respond here on my blog to what he has to say! I'm waiting to hear from you...

"WordsMatter"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home