Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Monday, March 28, 2011

BLOG DETOUR...

Well, I was planning to conclude the blog I posted two weeks ago, with Dan Collison's insightful, helpful, practical ideas for reshaping how we do mission and evangelism in a post-Christian world. However, a few days ago a FB friend posted a link to the following blog that I thoroughly appreciated. I thought many others would be interested in what this young woman has to say too, so I'm going to hold off on my other blog post and offer this one for you to read and ponder instead. What she has to say is also very relevant to the things Dan described in his Midwinter Conference workshop, so there is a tie-in to what I'm sharing in my blog as well.

Probably most of you are aware of the brouhaha surrounding Rob Bell's latest book, "Love Wins." I started reading strong reactionary comments from a host of people about a month ago, even before the book was released. The hubbub has only increased, even making headlines in the mainstream media. Certainly Rob's appearance on "Good Morning America" two weeks ago helped increase his exposure to people outside of the evangelical world. And today, "Love Wins" is #2 on the NY Times Bestseller List (Hardcover Advice and Misc.).

Throughout these weeks, I grew more and more sad, frustrated, and embarrassed at the way people-Christians-were carrying on about Rob Bell, the book, the Bible, theology, and so forth. Most of it has been harsh, condemning, critical, with broad scathing comments, probably the most famous (and, to me, uncalled for) being the tweet from John Piper: "Farewell Rob Bell." Once again, my heart aches over the way Christians are acting, with nasty, cutting demonstrations of incivility, once again giving those outside the Church more ammo to criticize and rail against us and heap up more resistance to faith. Who would ever want to join a family that treats one another so badly?! "Judgmental, hypocritical, homophobic" - these are the top three ways we are perceived by those outside of the Christian faith (according to Shane Claiborne). This most recent event will only confirm this in the minds of many. Jesus, forgive us...

I think Rachel's comments and perspective is very helpful, healthy, and perceptive. See what you think. Click here: FutureofEvangelicalism

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home