Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006






Photos: 1. service on the roof of the room of the Last Supper 2. church of "St. Peter in Galicantu" (built over Caiaphas' house) 3. hole through which Jesus may have been dropped into the dungeon for the night 4. me, in the dungeon itself 5. me on steps outside Caiaphas' house, from the time of Jesus

I walked home in kind of a daze to get a break, to reflect, and to get ready for my next special service:   a 3:00 p.m. Good Friday gathering at a Scottish Presbyterian church that included a procession to the Cenacle (Last Supper room) and St. Peter in Galicantu (Caiaphas' house, where Peter denied Christ).  A Scottish tour group made up the bulk of this gathering, and again it was amazing to stand together by the Upper Room, then to walk through the remains of Caiaphas' house, where there is a dungeon room that could easily have been the place where Christ had to spend the night after his arrest.  The steps outside this location also date to the time of Jesus, and very likely were the ones on which he walked to get to Gethsemane after the Passover meal, and that he was marched up to his confrontation with the high priest after his arrest in the Garden.  We had brief, quiet, very meaningful worship times at both these places, and then had an hour of free time to just absorb everything here, looking out over the Old City and Mount of Olives, before walking back to the church for a final Service of Remembrance. Again, this included the readings of Christ's passion and death, hymns, and prayers before lighting candles in anticipation of the resurrection/eternal life.  I felt so tuned in to what Christ endured for us, as a result of all I'd done and repeated and visited over the past hours that I felf completely overwhelmed.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home