Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

CHRISTIANITY IS CHANGING (continued)
WHAT ARE THEY SAYING?


Since last Monday, I have been receiving a whole lot of communication about Bret’s resignation from a number of “young people”--yes! Those 20’s/30’s we’re always talking about! In their reflections, regrets, and sadness, a number of things keep coming up that reinforce the email comments I blogged about just one week ago. Can we hear what they are saying to us?

“We love being challenged to think about our beliefs and put them into action more efficiently.”

“I"m thinking about the challenging class (“How To Think Like A Missionary”) on what people of different generations think and how to bridge the gap.  I was very intrigued by the different approaches to how we worship - creative, in nature, meditating, etc.  (“Sacred Pathways”). I thought you were very innovative in your ideas.” 

“I don't know if you had a chance to reach out to the people of our generation to get more of us in attendance. Quite honestly, people our age are sometimes doing a lot and hectic schedules make it difficult to make it to every weekend service. It doesn't mean that we don't wish we were there or think about it on the Saturdays we missed.”

“My husband and I enjoyed our conversations with you and we were actually kind of shocked that our beliefs weren't as weird as we thought they were!” :-)

“I don't think the people (in a certain group) would even consider reading, say, Anne Lamott or Donald Miller. But that's the kind of thing I would rather read! Something challenging and complex.”

“You have taught us a lot and showed us that there are other ways to worship than the ones we were used to. We were challenged to think through our beliefs, which is healthy and necessary--but so many don't do it! It's been nice to see our religion applied to our modern lives.”

“You have really brought a refreshing way of learning about Christ into my life. It was your direction that brought new and exciting ways to think about my faith.”


These are just some of the email comments I’ve received, none of the ones I’ve gotten in phone conversations, visits, or meetings. These comments indicate that what these individuals have been experiencing recently in their spiritual growth was not happening previously (although we might believe it was). Again, can we hear what these voices are saying to us? To me, these comments speak loudly about how this younger generation is approaching their faith journey. It is not through the familiar frameworks that we in church appreciate. New methods, approaches, attitudes, and understandings are needed--indeed, they are imperative--in order to reach this generation.

My prayer is that older, established congregations can get their heads around this--and soon. The clock is ticking, time is passing, and too many, even ones who have grown up in our congregation in Hilmar, are not interested in “church” as we know it. How can we help these earnest young people pursue Christ, and Christ’s priorities in the world, in meaningful ways? In the contexts in which they are living?

Lisa Orris’ new workshop on evangelism, called “One Step Closer,” is a great resource to educate and facilitate congregations in connecting with people in our culture today. A book by two Intervarsity leaders, “I Once Was Lost,” is another excellent help in understanding what it takes to connect with today’s unchurched generation. Here at Hilmar Covenant, we have the Veritas process to help us--hopefully--deal with the realities facing the Christian Church. Stay tuned for more details about the proposal that the Veritas Team has put together. It was received very favorably by our church council!


My prayer--my plea--is this: Holy Spirit, fill us, open us, change us, lead us. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home