Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Friday, March 24, 2006






photos: me on my hike up the Snake Path to Masada’s summit - also James and Michelle, with outline of one of the Roman camps in the background

But we weren’t going to be spending time here! We got our backpacks on, sunscreen applied, purchased our entrance tickets, and we were off. Larry and Mary took the cable car to the top, but I was finally able to do one of the things I’ve dreamed of doing since my first time at Masada in 1989: hike up the “Snake Path” to the top of Masada! The one narrow route that is the only access to the fortress. James and Michelle hiked it with me, and it was a total thrill. The path winds back and forth over the eastern face of Masada, with gorgeous views of the rough terrain surrounding the mountain. Very few hikers were on the path, and we stopped often to enjoy the atmosphere, take pictures, and soak up the experience. It’s only a 45 minute hike. Then, just before the gate at the summit, we had our first look at one of the huge water cisterns and part of the channel system that collected water for Masada’s residents. It is so large that it’s easy to understand how possible it was for the rebels to live up here for three years, much to the chagrin of the Romans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home