Jerusalem Sabbatical

I originally created my blog to post my reflections on my sabbatical experience in Jerusalem in 2006. I have also used it to post my thoughts and ideas about being a church for the next generation. Now I hope to use it to blog about my third time in Israel, volunteering with Bridges for Peace!

Friday, March 24, 2006






photos: En Gedi falls - me beside one of the falls - ibex family - cross in the Judean desert above Jericho - St. George’s Monastery

Michelle had packed a picnic lunch for us, so we decided to enjoy it up the road a ways at En Gedi. This is the place where a small stream runs out of the desert, over a series of waterfalls, and where David hid from Saul (see I Samuel 24). We were very hungry after our long day at Masada and the fresh Israeli food tasted especially delicious. Feeling better, and ready for more walking, we entered the En Gedi Nature Reserve and headed for the falls. We saw numerous caves in the cliffs around us--also mentioned in the Bible and in history--as we walked along the rushing stream and first few sets of falls. Just before we got to the last one (“David’s Fall”) we hit a barracade in the path with a notice that a landslide blocked the rest of the trail and was off limits to hikers. This was very disappointing to us. However, we did stop at the other falls on our way back down the wadi--and were delighted to come across a herd of ibex, the mountain goats that thrive in this desert environment. Several tiny babies followed their parents, jumping from rock to rock, and it was amazing to see how sure-footed they are.

We left En Gedi and headed for home. It had gotten even clearer as the day went on, and I continued taking pictures of the Dead Sea and mountains of Moab because the colors were so strong and beautiful. As we passed Jericho, we talked about Israel’s security concerns and of last week’s events that closed down the “City of Palms” (Deut. 34:3). Suddenly, at the turn-off to the Wadi Kelt (the steep, narrow backroad to Jericho), James pulled off and down this winding road to show us where the hike would’ve started today, if it hadn’t been for the Palestinian unrest in Jericho. He took us to a parking area where we hiked a short distance and caught a stunning view of St. George’s Monastery, nestled into the deep gorge of the Wadi Kelt, where an aqueduct carries water to the Jordan Valley. I’ve seen this monastery before, but never quite so close, and it made me hope more than ever that the hike from here to Jericho will be able to happen soon.

After filling the van with gas, we drove straight home to Jerusalem. I was exhausted, but I also felt completely happy after the exciting adventures of our day. I had fulfilled two dreams (hiking the Snake Path and standing on the Roman ramp), seen a new part of En Gedi, and enjoyed four new friendships that are quickly becoming rich and meaningful to me.

I look forward to spending more time at Masada and En Gedi with those of you from Hilmar who are coming to the Holy Land in June. Maybe this account of my experiences will help to get you even more excited about the incredible adventures that await you here in Israel!

Until next time, Erev tov (good evening) from Jerusalem!

Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home